Camping

7:51 PM

 A short weekend trip to the countrysides of Australia. Cherbourg, in particular. I signed up for this trip by myself. I think not many people were keen to go because we had papers and assignments due. I finished most of the stuff I had to complete, plus speech in semester one is much less content heavy than the other health degrees, so off I went! This was the 4-hour drive to the first destination. Being the city gal I am, I was so happy to see such beautiful sights driving through the countryside! Cherbourg is more inland, which most people don't travel to as much.

 We set up health stalls for some of the children and I learnt so much about the Aboriginal culture from the locals here. It was something so valuable to me as I felt I would not have been able to learn in my own environment.
 The purple thing is a banyan tree and next to it is a seed, which people used to eat. Above that is the Aboriginal flag.

They gave us packed food! They brought us all the way to a beautiful windy place to have lunch lol.



Night time. Because I didn't come with my friends, I just made friends with the lady who sat beside me. She was a med student from Poland, she's married and at my university, they can only do medicine at master's level. It was interesting to hear her globetrotting adventures, and how she finally settled in Australia with her husband. Also learnt that polish food consists of wrapped dumplings?! How crazy Asian is that! After lunch, we went to a museum about Aboriginal culture. It was there I learnt about the previous injustice the Aboriginal people suffered up till only recently. This is talked about in school, but being able to hear about the mistreatment from people who lived through it was so different. I could really feel the anger and resentment they once felt, which I think they still feel it, but they channel it into helping Aboriginals gain better recognition and lives. First time being offered tea in a museum. It was pretty cool. I love the experience.


 At our campsite for the night! I slept in the pink tent. Oh gosh, I did not realise I have to put my name in the google doc for sleeping.. And when I got there, all the tents were full except for two tents (one with a couple and another with one dude). Omg, I felt so panicked because I'm not even close to anyone. I told the couple I was gonna sleep in their tent, without realising they were a couple at first. Thank God for His grace and the super great event organiser, she opened another tent and I slept in the tent with her.
Oh gosh... we went to the only bar in that town for dinner, it was so crowded, but the food was legit. I went with the two friends I made, who were adults. We showered at those portable orange shower boxes and surprisingly, there was hot water. My friends went to sleep at 8pm... HAHAHA. I really couldn't sleep, because of the cold. I was literally in 3 layers, but I think that was not enough for 12 degrees weather outdoors. Ended up watching Cheese in the Trap drama until 12am, until my battery was about the be flat. Tried the remaining time to sleep, but I couldn't take the cold. My angmoh friend seemed to be well in the cold.

The next day, we visited a rural hospital, which was cool. They only have one pharmacist and one paedetrician that comes all the way from the city each time. How crazy is that! 
After that, we went to the local pumpkin festival, which the whole town seemed to be attending. What a chill trip right.
Spotted some vintage cars at the side.
First time seeing camels in real life! Here it is not exciting enough to ride horses, kids ride camels!
With the two friends who warmly became friends and companions with me. :) Paula, who is a mother and a nurse and Joanna. We walked around the markets, trying to find pumpkin related food, which was not that many. We tried pumpkin pie and wine! Felt so bad for trying so much wine and not buying lol.
I paid $13 for this experience to roll a pumpkin down a hill.


Laughing at the utter failure of my pumpkin rolling skills.... Barely less than 20m I think. Ahhh it was such hot weather in the afternoon. Bought and had a Golden daytime ice cream I always wanted to try:))) Grabbed a random pumpkin they were about to throw away to bring home. Took the 4-hour bus ride home :) 

So grateful to be able to have these experiences and learn different cultures. The countryside is beautiful. Not sure if I would love to go back to sleep in the cold though.. I would need to invest in a good sleeping bag! I hope to have more courage to step out of my comfort zone and strength to endure! Ok bye ~ thank you God for safety and fun:) 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Spotify playlist